I’ve decided to switch over to Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ7 compact camera instead of getting a brand new Canon compact camera. Panasonic Lumix range has some very good features lately and I noticed Canon has not been in keeping with some of the advances for point-and-shoot cameras. Canon is probably concentrating more on their EOS DSLR camera as they are pushing the Canon EOS 7D DSLR a lot lately.
I may have a Canon EOS DSLR 30D however it can’t be denied that a compact camera is very convenient to carry around. After all you won’t always be trying to capture some artistic shot all the time, perhaps a simple family gathering and you didn’t want to carry a large bulky photography equipment along, so carrying a point-and-shoot compact camera makes sense here.
Since my Canon PowerShot A720IS produced a battery drain error and the cost for repair is so prohibitive, I decided to buy a new compact camera. Although the PowerShot came with several manual settings I noticed that I never touched it at all, so a simple automatic setting would be sufficient for my compact photo needs. I also noticed that my Canon PowerShot photos that I took the colour has started to run, perhaps when you have made a number of shots the camera sensor starts to degrade. Anyway, digital equipment are not made to last. However I would have hoped that my Canon PowerShot A720IS would have last longer than 2 years.
Now having fiddled with my new Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ7, I would say it has very superior features compared with my Canon PowerShot and has no regrets switching to Panasonic Lumix range of compact camera.
Several features of Panasonic Lumix cameras make it more superior than that of Canon:
- It has 25mm wide angle lens, good for taking in scenery, and for group photos shots without having to back up to take in all of your friends and family.
- 12x optical zoom for all the close ups photo composition. You can extend it further with its digital zoom too, and Panasonic digital zoom pretty good too.
- The image stabilizer is one of the best around in comparison with other brands.
- The Leica DC lens provide a very clear perfect shots.
- Ability to take movie using either AVCHD Lite or the normal motion jpg mode.
- You could create interesting macro photos with its telephoto macro zoom apart from its usual macro photography, plus with a big aperture settings you could blur out the background to focus on your subject composition.
- Various aspect ratios apart from the normal 4:3, it has the 3:2 similar to the DSLR and a 16:9 HDTV wide angle style ratio.
Of course there are many more features; however the above are some of the nice features that made up my decision to purchase this Panasonic TZ7 model. In fact this model very popular that during the initial launch I had some problem getting hold of a model.
However there are certain drawbacks about this model, after all nothing is ever perfect.
- With such wide range of shooting from wide angle to 12x optical zoom, some distortion is expected from your photo shots.
- The face recognition is not very good. After programming it in, it couldn’t differentiate amongst the people. I decided to switch it off otherwise it start marking the same name for everybody. I guess the face recognition technology still got some ways to go.
- AVCHD lite format is not a common format at this time. I couldn’t playback on my Windows Vista Media Player or even the multipurpose VideoLan software. However it could playback from Windows 7 Media Player. My current Ulead VideoStudio 11 couldn’t handle the movie file either unless I get the latest version. I guess I will have to switch to the motion JPEG for movie capture instead for better compatibility though that would mean lower quality capture.
Overall the Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ7 is pretty good despite the above setbacks. And the price tag is not cheap given the kind of features provided. The listed price of RM1600 can be reduced to about RM1400 cash price if you hunt hard enough in some shops especially those camera shops located in Low Yat Plaza.
All in all this may be a pricey camera but a good one with its various features.